Sunday, August 12, 2012

1. Project Matobo

A photographic journey through Matabeleland's granite hills

Its been on my mind for a while - this whole photography thing, and living in Zimbabwe, these passions are connected. Perhaps I need to do something more with it. I need to start a serious project, I need to direct all this energy more constructively. Yes for too long I have been randomly snapping away - editing and then saving it to the dusty corners of a hard drive... I need to be more bold and do it... Put it out there...

Hasselblad scanned negative
80mm
The project? Matopos National Park and surrounding areas. It's a special place, when you talk special places and photography the serious people automatically think Yosemite, and Ansel Adams... Or more recently, Clyde Butcher and the Everglades. Nope, I dont consider myself in that league, however my subject, the incredible Matobo hills may, if captured well fit in there amongst the most splendorous places on earth... I will in the next few months attempt to capture that, and share it here.

Individual rocks or rocky outcrops.
Canon 1D iv 24-70mm 
There are however a few questions which needs to be answered to get this project off the ground... Most people would probably, plan it out in great detail and have all these things neat and tidy in little lists and perhaps even within a highly complex conceptual framework! Since my work as a scientist requiers that from me in my day time job, so here I will allow myself the freedom for things to evolve - to develop and take its own way... I shall simply ask Matobo to give, to allow me access to her spirit, to reveal it... to me, for us to enjoy.

Apart from what the photo-gods will allow and provide for me, I am primarily referring to the following factors and techniques - the myriad of possibilities available to one who embarks on a journey like this.  The main questions would most probably concern the style of photography, obviously it will all, or mostly be landscape, but I see no reason why not to include a few close-ups, even a macro shot or two of the finer variations and details of this incredible place. I also see, for now at least, a few scales at which this project may evolve, from the landscape scale, to the individual hill or rocky outcrop, down to individual rocks or rock formations, to smaller scales like trees and branches, down to individual leaves and at the macro photographic level moss, flowers and lichens. All in an attempt to capture the character of this wonderland.

Colors in Matopos can be vivid and the lichens are amazing...
Canon 1D iv 16-35mm 
Secondly, one can ask questions about color or black and white which, is in todays world partially asking the question whether it will be  digital or analogue. These are obviously not mutually exclusive, but in my case it kind of is: See, I have a darkroom which I love, seeing those hills and rocks appear in the dim glow of the safelight is simply amazing if not magical. These are for me obviously black and white. On the other hand, the digital option is extremely exciting with a massive array of options and opportunities, and then there is "post-processing". Offering both color and black and white, these are equally enticing and reveal different characteristics of the subject. Digitally, you can shoot hundreds of photos in a day without the concern of costs and test and evaluate various options and permutations. The upside here is that with a Canon 5D and 1D mark iv, with high quality lenses which cover the ground from 16 to 600mm the sky's the limit! However, all this brilliant glass also fits snugly and efficiently onto my EOS 3 camera so this is available in 36mm analogue too. Today with the quality of film, paper and chemistry available, analogue photography is experiencing are great comeback, or perhaps more realistically; its maintaining a strong foothold amongst a handful of die-hearts. Then there is the Hasselblad, which according to the website and the serial number it was made in 1974.  Here I have some limitations with regard to lenses. I have two only, a 80mm and 250mm. Now in a photographer's life, limitations is simply another word for opportunities, temptations, reasons, excuses and range of concepts which in the end would justify turning to the second hand columns in each and every photographic resource available on the great world wide web! In medium format, 80mm is really wide, a good lanscape lens and 250mm is sufficient to isolate individual rocks and rock formations - there is a gap in between which could be filled with a 150mm or something in that order! Anybody out here have one spare?

Black & White Canon 1D iv
So these are the options, well most of them - the other variable is Bill's Voigtlander - a 35mm circa 1952 with a 50mm and a 135mm lens. A sweet little marvel.  I still need to make a final decision as to whether or not I will buy that camera off him... Frankly it will not add significantly to my collection from a technology point of few, I have those options covered. Wait for it, the inevitable "but"! BUT its a wonderful example of yesteryears high tech manual cameras - beautifully made and still in excellent condition. It will be be a waste of a good camera not to make use of it too...


Color Canon1D iv
In short, the options are: analogue vs digital, color vs black and white, one specific camera, or an arsenal of equipment to shoot with?  As said, I have not made those decisions and my plan is simply to allow it to evolve... I will see what works and what gives me the most satisfaction... cause my objective is simply to enjoy myself exploring Matopos further, and in the process attempt a serious process of documenting and sharing one of the most amazing places in Zimbabwe...


Hasselblad scanned negative, 80mm
Photo Opportunities where ever you look. Canon 1D iv

 As said, I dont have a great plan for this project - it will develop the way it will develop. I may consider writing something more about these cameras in the near future.



 Interesting links to things Matopos:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matobo_National_Park






1 comment:

Welcome to let me know what you think, or make a suggestion!